The Alzheimer Internacional promotes barcelonaβeta, research complex, a comprehensive, new-generation scientific project in the field of neurodegenerative diseases and age-derived cognitive problems, in which the health care facilities will be at the service of the R+D+i. This is a public-private initiative, with an important social component, in which the most transformative research and targeted innovation will be at the service of unmet patient needs and early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
barcelonaβeta targets two main objectives:
- To promote a new model of scientific research and technological innovation conceived to achieve improvements in diagnosis, treatment and cure of Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases, as well as to provide solutions for the cognitive problems related to aging.
- To provide with high technology diagnostic solutions, in close collaboration with other initiatives and partners in the field, contributing to the social and public dissemination of these diseases.
The complex is divided into two main areas and an additional space devoted to public information and advice:
barcelonaβeta‘s development is granted by a private-public funding structure. Private investment through an Economic Interest Grouping will fund at least 50% of the global investments and expenses derived from the R+D+i activities. Public tenders, together with service revenues and private structural subsidies will fund the Memory Clinic.
We propose a model for creating long term value through R+D+i royalties and returns generated by:
- Project prospection and valorization, and proof of concept studies,
- Industrial property management (licensing, co development …),
- Tax deductible R+D+i investment.
At the same time that we are working in the strategic planning of the different areas that will conform barcelonaβeta, the Alzheimer Internacional has already launched several R+D+i in the field of Alzheimer’s disease and neurodegeneration.
- Research program on early diagnosis
The foundation fosters a very ambitious longitudinal study aiming to achieve early diagnosis and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative illnesses, as well as to understand the cognitive disorders derived from aging. This project will focus on the intrinsic characteristics and evolution of the cognitive and emotional resources of an extensive group of people along their lives. The goal is to unveil the influence of external and internal factors with regard to mental welfare, in order to evaluate future diagnostic and preventive strategies.
- Therapeutic project on cognitive stimulation
The foundation is currently working with a group of experts in the field of neurology and geriatrics, to develop new products that can help physicians and families improve the quality of life and the physical and psychological welfare of Alzheimer’s disease patients.
Platform 2.0: project communication and funding
At present we are developing innovative web 2.0 and social network tools to promote corporate and project communication. The aim is the dissemination and funding of the foundation’s specific activities and R+D+i projects.